Build System Partial Updates

2014-09-10 by Mike Shal, tagged as make, mozilla, tup

There is a fairly long dev-platform thread about partial updates - specifically, running './mach build <subdirectory>'. In this post, we'll compare how this is handled in make-based systems, as well as in tup.

Read more »

PGO Performance on SeaMicro Build Machines

2014-08-20 by Mike Shal, tagged as mozilla, performance, windows

Let's take a look at why our SeaMicro (sm) build machines perform slower than our iX machines. In particular, the extra time it takes to do non-unified PGO Windows builds can cause timeouts in certain cases (on Aurora we have bug 1047621). Since this was a learning experience for me and I hit a few roadblocks along the way, I thought it might be useful to share the experience of debugging the issue. Read on for more details!

Read more »

Moving Automation Steps in Tree

2014-07-23 by Mike Shal, tagged as make, mozilla

In bug 978211, we're looking to move the logic for the automation build steps from buildbot into mozilla-central. Essentially, we're going to convert this:

buildbot build

Into this:

mozharness build

Read more »

Clobber Builds Part 3 - Other Clobber Causes

2014-06-03 by Mike Shal, tagged as make, mozilla, tup

Part 3 in the clobber build series. Today we'll examine some of the reasons that even a build system with perfect dependencies would still need clobbering.

Read more »

Clobber Builds Part 2 - Fixing Missing Dependencies

2014-05-07 by Mike Shal, tagged as make, mozilla, tup

This is part 2 in the clobber build series. Here we'll look at how to fix the issues stemming from part 1 -- missing dependencies -- once and for all.

Read more »

Clobber Builds Part 1 - Missing Dependencies

2014-03-19 by Mike Shal, tagged as make, mozilla, tup

In this series, we're going to look at clobber builds - what they are, why they're needed, and how we can make them a thing of the past. This is part 1 of the series.

Read more »

Getting data out of the Mozilla build configuration

2013-10-16 by Mike Shal, tagged as mozilla, tup

Last time when looking at building mozilla-central with tup, we ran into some issues with converting the various m-c data formats into tup rules. In particular, the time to parse all the data is way slower than necessary, and the feature used to parse the data is not yet supported on Windows. In this post we'll look at an alternate method, and compare the pros & cons. Then we'll look into what is needed to get tup in the m-c tree and supported as an official build backend.

Read more »

Building mozilla-central with tup

2013-08-07 by Mike Shal, tagged as mozilla, tup

Building mozilla-central with make is slow, and in many cases broken (requiring a clobber build). Recently, there was a blog post discussing how to build parts of mozilla-central with Ninja. Ninja is much faster than make, but in many cases it is still broken (requiring clobber builds). In this post, we'll look at building mozilla-central with tup, which is even faster still, and does not clobber. This is done using the same build configuration that make uses, but without using make at all.

Read more »

Linking libxul with tup and FUSE

2013-04-04 by Mike Shal, tagged as fuse, mozilla, tup

A significant milestone has been reached with using tup to build mozilla-central - libxul.so links! (And when copied into a make-built tree, actually runs :). However, some performance problems are quickly evident. This post looks into the cause, and works out some improvements.

Read more »

Oh Noes! A Bug in Tup

2013-02-10 by Mike Shal, tagged as mozilla, tup

I thought it might be interesting to see an example of what I consider to be a bug in tup, especially since most other build systems would not consider this scenario a bug. While working on building mozilla-central, I had 25 new commits since the day started. After working on each commit, I would run 'tup upd' to bring the system up-to-date. Some commits only needed a single update, others required me to iterate many times until I was satisfied with the new commit. After I was done for the day, I pulled the repo onto another machine and ran a single 'tup upd' there, and that's when I noticed a problem...

Read more »

comments powered by Disqus